Welcome to the Nursery at The Falcons School for Boys. It provides the first steps in learning for boys aged 3 and 4, and attendance at Nursery guarantees automatic entry into Reception. We are delighted that the most recent ISI report, undertaken in 2012, awarded us Outstanding in all categories. Please click here for our Early Years Flyer.
Our Nursery is a happy, fun and welcoming place for pupils, parents and staff. The Nursery is an integral part of the Falcons Pre-Prep and plays an important role in contributing to the culture and ethos of the whole school, which creates our family-like atmosphere.
All children attend 5 mornings: 8.30am to 12.00 noon. Afternoon sessions are available 5 days a week and boys are encouraged to attend at least 3 full days by the end of the summer term to prepare them for the following year in Reception. The afternoon sessions end at 3.10 pm. After school care is also available until 6.00pm
Nursery and Reception Curriculum
- We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum – Development Matters which develops skills, knowledge and attitudes in 7 learning areas: Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World, and Expressive Arts and Design.
- Much emphasis is placed on Personal, Social and Emotional Development, particularly in the first term. Developing independence and being able to listen and contribute as part of a group is also one of the most important skills to acquire at this stage.
- Each half term has a theme (which provides a focus for the children’s learning) and activities with clear learning objectives. A lot of these planned activities are practical and playful in nature as this is how young children learn most effectively. There are also daily opportunities for the children to follow their own interests, initiate their own activities and learn through exploration.
- Short term planning (weekly/daily) is based on the observed learning needs and interests of the children.
- Each day the children will experience being taught as part of a whole class group, a small group and in a one- to- one capacity. It is important that they thoroughly enjoy their time in these two foundation years, and leave with an enthusiastic attitude to learning, along with the relevant skills and knowledge.
- The boys have PE with a specialist teacher and also participate in planned activities (covering all 7 areas of learning) outside on a regular basis. Boys need lots of active outdoor play!
- Music is taught by a specialist teacher and the boys also regularly sing, play music and dance with the nursery staff as well.
- The boys also enjoy learning French, taught by a specialist teacher. These sessions are fun, active and usually involve music and movement.
Nursery afternoon curriculum
The afternoon curriculum continues to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage focussing on the more practical applications of play and activities.
Nursery boys who stay at school for afternoon sessions will benefit from a hot lunch, cooked on the premises under the supervision of our Nursery staff.