Welcome to our Pre-Reception class, a happy, fun and welcoming place for pupils, parents and staff.
Pre-Reception provides the first and most important steps in learning for boys aged 3 and 4 and is an integral part of the Falcons Pre-Prep, playing an important role in contributing to the culture and ethos of the whole school, which creates our family-like atmosphere.
Attendance at our Pre-Reception guarantees automatic entry into Reception and we were delighted that the most recent ISI report awarded us Outstanding in all categories.
All children attend 5 mornings: 8.30am to 12.00 noon. Breakfast Club is available from 7.45am. Afternoon sessions are available 5 days a week and boys are encouraged to attend at least 3 full days by the end of the summer term to prepare them for the following year in Reception. The afternoon sessions end at 3.10 pm. After school care is also available until 6.00pm.
Early Years and Foundation Stage Curriculum
- We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum – Development Matters which develops skills, knowledge and attitudes in 7 learning areas: Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World, and Expressive Arts and Design.
- Much emphasis is placed on Personal, Social and Emotional Development, particularly in the first term. Developing independence and being able to listen and contribute as part of a group is also one of the most important skills to acquire at this stage.
- Each day the children will experience being taught as part of a whole class group, a small group and in a one- to- one capacity. It is important that they thoroughly enjoy their time in these two foundation years, and leave with an enthusiastic attitude to learning, along with the relevant skills and knowledge.
- Forest School – each week the boys spend time outside in nature, learning from the world around them. Sessions are led by our Head of Nursery who is also a qualified Forest School practitioner. We visit our local green spaces such as Harvard Hill Park, Chiswick House Gardens and the Gunnersbury Triangle. Each season brings with it a new canvas to learn from. Boys need space to develop their physical skills and Forest School gives them the space to do this and so much more. We learn to take calculated risks, climb trees, roll down hills and get our hands dirty in the mud.
- Each half term has a theme (which provides a focus for the children’s learning) and activities with clear learning objectives. A lot of these planned activities are practical and self-initiated in nature as this is how young children learn most effectively. There are also opportunities for the children to participate in free flow learning, whereby their developmental milestones are recorded.
- The boys have PE with a specialist teacher and also participate in planned activities (covering all 7 areas of learning) outside on a regular basis. Boys need lots of active outdoor play!
- Music is taught by a specialist teacher and the boys also regularly sing, play music and dance with the nursery staff as well.
Pre-Reception afternoon curriculum
The afternoon curriculum continues to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage focusing on the more practical applications of play and activities.
Pre-Reception boys who stay at school for afternoon sessions will benefit from a hot lunch, cooked on the premises under the supervision of our Pre-Reception staff.